Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Coping with a new mobile phone

The staff of the organisation I work for have just been given new phones by 2 Degrees as part of a sponsorship from the phone company. The Nokia I have chosen is a world away from the old very basic Nokia I have otherwise had for the past 3 years. But I need a week-long seminar to learn how to use even the basic features. Fortunately, we have a 19-year-old Chinese young woman boarding with us who needless to say knows all about these things and she has been schooling me up. Whether I will ever use all the higher-end features is problematic. One thing frustrating me, though, is that some of the basic features of the old model are either missing or much harder to implement. Take, for example, adding details to Contacts. The old phone allowed me to enter home, work and mobile numbers at the one time. The new phone allows me to enter only home and mobile numbers at the first attempt. I thought initially that it was not possible at all to enter work phone numbers, but have just discovered it is possible - along with many other details - but it is a two-stage process. After entering the first set of contact details, click on the Options button and then choose Add Details. Voila, new fields come up. I presume something similar is the case for most mobile phones these days.

No comments: