Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday security

There’s one dread I have of going on holiday: returning home and finding my computer stolen. I mean, that’s my life in there! So I’ve been thinking how I can make it more secure. Last year, I taped a note to it saying: “This computer will not work if removed from this location”. (Note to friendly burglars: please don’t read this blog.) Okay, it was a bit forlorn. How can I do better this year?
1)Set up a logon password (user account). I have one at work, but not at home. Not good. To do this on a PC, go to the Start menu/Settings/Control panel/User Accounts.
2)Make a backup of all data files (you do back up, don’t you!!??) and store the disk somewhere outside the home. The simplest way, even if a bit clumsy, is to copy the files onto a CD or DVD or flash drive/memory stick.
3)Take the computer to a friend or relative who’s going to be home over the holidays.
4)Ask the neighbours to keep an eye on the house.
5)Install a software fire and burglar alarm system on the computer. One example is PC Alarm and Security System. I haven’t tried this, but it’s not particularly expensive to buy, and looks very versatile.
6) PCEye is another system, which phones you up on your cell phone when the alarm is triggered.
6)Other systems track stolen computers and report their wherabouts. Examples are LoJack, CompuTrace, CyberAngel, and zTrace.
Any other ideas very welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) Install Linux (well, that's just more secure anyway, but...)
2) Set to boot into the command line by default.
3) Utterly confuse most burglars who will throw what they think is a piece of junk away at the first opportunity.
4) Regularly visit the dump, pick up your computer, get back to work.