Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Office Tabs

Tabs are an absolutely essential part of my life when using Firefox. I can't imagine how I lived without them before they were introduced. I wish I could say the same about Microsoft Word. Instead, when I have multiple Word documents open, I have to fish among a piled up set of icons on the Task Bar. It should have been an obvious feature for Microsoft to incorporate in 2007. However, there is a free utility, Office Tabs, which does the job, and on my quick test does it well. It can also give you tabs in Excel and PowerPoint. There are a few points to be aware of: The software has been written by a Chinese techie, but an English version is available. A few users report problems with the feature, but mine works fine. And some people find that it pops up a dialogue for a video program. (Again, it doesn't on my machine.) I guess, like with most public domain software, it's user-beware, but the utility seems to outweigh the potential problems. If you have difficulties, you can always use Windows' System Restore to go back.

No comments: