Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Will video games and daily life merge?

My eldest son - he with an xbox - lives in a video gaming world I barely know exists. The last couple of weeks he has been introducing me to some of the offerings, such as Guitar Hero and Fable. The graphics, virtual reality world development and storyline of Fable were an eye-opener for me. The coding underlying it must be phenomenal. I had not realised to what degree some of these games have developed. But then last night he showed me a YouTube video of Project Natal, which steps the whole video interactive world into a totally new dimension. This stuff is quite mind-blowing. This video was a presentation by a Microsoft engineer to a small select group, but by the looks of it may not be too far off making an entry into the average living room. But the developers are thinking way beyond gaming: they believe the technology will change daily life the same way that the internet changed it. Here's a look at other potential uses of the technology.

No comments: