Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Accessing Favourites and Bookmarks

I have collected thousands of website addresses over the years, storing them as either Favourites (Internet Explorer) or Bookmarks (Firefox). Being a tidy Kiwi, I have created a fairly extensive filing system, creating a folder for each area of interest, and storing the Bookmarks in the appropriate folder. I drag and drop folders (and items within folders) to order them according to frequency of use. So far, so good. The problem is that when I use a Bookmarks folder down the bottom of the pile, I face a long scroll to get to the bottom, and often have to repeat that long scroll each time I want to call up a new website. There are two solutions to the problem. IE has a Favourites Bar and Firefox a Bookmarks Toolbar, to which you can drag folders for easy access (you reach both through the browser's View menu). Alternatively, you can have a sidebar at the left-hand side of your screen, similar to the History sidebar, which is easily scrollable and can be easily shown or removed. The IE sidebar is found at View/Explorer Bars/Favourites, and the Firefox version at View/Sidebar/Bookmarks. Incidentally, a Firefox add-on called FEBE can automatically back up all your Bookmarks (I back up weekly, because I would hate to lose all those years of work collecting).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

portable Annuity Calculator convenor Bariatric Surgery siamo Electric Blankets orgkind Furnace Filters cooperand Vending Machines biofilms Kitchen Cabinets inconstant Slipcovers epiphanies