Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To Twitter or not to Twitter?

Madeleine, one of my co-contributors, is a Twitter fan, and in a previous post she explained how to get involved. Although I have read a fair bit about this new form of communication, I have struggled to get the point, and to see why I should join in.
Twitter is a short message service -- messages are limited to a maximum of 140 characters. This length restriction makes "tweets" (as Twitter messages are called) equivalent to cell phone "texts" (properly called Short Message Service or SMS messages) but with a difference: Text messages are essentially one-to-one whereas tweets are essentially one-to-many.
If you're also wondering, Mark Gibbs in this PC World article provides about the best short introduction I've so far seen.
(But I'm still not sure I'm convinced it's for me.)

No comments: