Thursday, February 12, 2009

Internet down?

Last night, our internet connection just suddenly stopped. My first recourse was to right click on the connection icon at the right-hand side of the task bar and first check status ("offline" - huh! I know that), and then repair. It couldn't repair. Then I had a flash-back and remembered a time several years ago when the same thing used to happen fairly regularly at my workplace. When the internet there went down, we would disconnect the power from the modem, wait 10 seconds, then plug the power back in. This resets all the settings. So I dived under my desk, and did the same. Voila! Internet back in action.

1 comment:

Madeleine said...

This happens to us a lot - I think it is the dodgy wiring in our ancient house - and we use the trick you mentioned.

Sometimes, though, our connection persists in remaining down. When this happens we unplug every phone, even if they are plugged into filters. Then we turn the router off. Then we shut down the computer.

We wait 30 seconds and then turn the computer back on, turn the router back, wait for the lights to stop flashing, and then we plug the phones back in.

This works really well.